Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who am I...?


From as long as I can remember my whole life really, I have always been interested in art.  When I was a kid I was always drawing, painting, or taking things apart and bolting things back together. Throughout school I was involved in photography classes, art classes and commercial art and design. After high school my plan was always to graduate and enroll in a creative arts university but as everyone knows plans change.
After graduation I couldn’t afford the tuition to continue my education so I began to work in order to support myself.  I worked several jobs never filling fulfilled by what I was doing.  I then decided to enroll in classes for aviation mechanics. I saw a type of craftsmanship in the attention to detail that was needed for the trade. I became the go to guy by my employer when there were tedious and important jobs that required precision and detail.  My employer acknowledged my orientation to detail and I was recognized several times for my outstanding craftsmanship.  After ten years in aviation I still wanted something that gave me more creative liberties.  
I decided to take a new job working in a high end machine shop.  Again, I was drawn to the field because of the artistry I perceived in creating something from nothing. In less than two years of working at the machine shop the organization down sized and I was laid off.
At first this was a sobering reality as I stood in the virtual unemployment line. Being told that you are let go is never really good news. But out of the boredom from spending too much time in the house I decided to pick up a camera. I started shooting again just for fun which reignited my creative interests. I began to fill my days studying photography and it’s progression over the last 15 years. What was modern and innovative and how technology had progressed. Becoming immersed in the field finally filled the creative void that I had missed. The layoff stopped looking so negative and started looking like an opportunity. It gave me the chance to make a change that I may otherwise have missed out on.
This indirect road has led me back to my true artistic passion.  As I am currently working as a free lance photographer I am excited to not only share my personal artistic views but to help clients create their own vision.

1 comment:

  1. good for you Eric, nice post. i wish you the best of luck with your freelance work and look forward to keeping up with your photography!
    -dalton

    ReplyDelete